In 1926, seven years after its incorporation, and despite objections of many local residents who Attempted to block construction, thinking it would become “just another joint,” The Sterling Club had a clubhouse built on a site near the intersection of Dale and Rondo (Concordia) Streets.
The land on which the clubhouse was built was deeded to the Club on December 31, 1924 by Elmer Morris, Sr. a St. Paul druggist. Clarence W. Wigington, Board Member and a leading architect for the City of St. Paul, designed the clubhouse in compliance-with the existing building codes of the community. The clubhouse was constructed as a residential dwelling, complete with a kitchen and a bathroom which included a bathtub.
On April 6, 1926, a series of One-hundred fifty “Third Mortgage Gold Bond” certificates in $40.00 increments were issued to members in good standing. This helped defray mortgage costs. Hammond Turner, Frank B. Simpson and Clarence Roper were the trustees for this Third Mortgage, Fredrick D. McCracken was President at the time. Only thorough their efforts did these men demonstrate a determination to have a progressive and-successful Club.